Changes in fingernail color and condition can be considered as the first clue of serious illnesses. In most of the cases the patient will notice other signs and symptoms of diseases before the changes in the nail become evident. Nail color can be grouped into black, grey, brown/copper, yellow, blue, pale, green, blue-green, purple or red groups, and each color indicates different illnesses.
Whenever your healthy fingers begin to change their color or texture, the most underlying cause of it is nail fungus, which may cause mails to peel, crack, change its color or texture, etc. Common disorders that can be identified with these changes in the nail is thyroid diseases, it can also cause abnormalities in both toe-nails as well as in finger-nails, it make your nails dry, brittle and one that crack and split easily.
Blue nails may indicate pulmonary obstruction, emphysema or lung disease. It may also symbolize a type of cyanosis caused due to lack of circulation oxygen in the red blood cells as well as high level of hemoglobin.
Black nail indicates high signs of vitamin B-12 deficiency, bacterial infection, chronic kidney disease, liver disease, silver deposits (heavy metals), adrenal gland problems, cancer or melanomas, anemia, trauma, etc.
This may specify signs of liver or kidney disorder or anemia. Or if there is a white line bands across the nail may indicate protein deficiency.
White spots on nails
This in in case if there is zinc or iron deficiency or injury to the nail bed. It can also contain some internal problem related to arthritis.
Gray mails may indicate cardio-pulmonary disease arthritis problems, lung problems, glaucoma, malnutrition, post-operative effects, emphysema, edema, etc.
Yellow nails will specify problems with lymphatic system, diabetes, respiratory disorder, liver disorder, etc.
This is due to oxygen deprivation, congenital problem and blood circulatory problem.
Large possibilities of brain hemorrhage, high blood pressure, heart diseases, stroke, lung diseases, carbon monoxide poisoning, etc.
Darkening of nails
Mainly indicates kidney disorder.
Red or brown line on nails
These line indicate splinter hemorrhage, may be caused due to endocarditis or trichinosis. It can also be a sign of skin cancer or some heart diseases.
Here are some of the essential tips that will help you maintain healthy mails and improve the appearance of your nails.
- Always keep your nails dry and clean.
- Avoid and quit bad habit such as nail biting and nail picking.
- Avoid making use of nail polish remover as it contains acetone or formaldehyde.
- Get your own personal manicure kid if you get to done frequently.
- File your nail round rather than filling the tips pointed.
- If you are having artificial nails then check regularly for green discoloration, it is the sign of bacterial infection.
- Having a well balanced and proportionate diet and take vitamin containing biotin.
- Regularly apply a moisturizer to your nails.
- Be very careful while you are trimming your nail, do not trim them too deep you might hurt yourself.
Be careful about such indications and it is always advisable for you consider your doctors suggestion over these color signs over your nails.