Blood pressure (BP) refers to the pressure exerted by the blood on the wall of the blood vessels or sometimes also referred as arterial blood pressure. Blood pressure is usually expressed in terms of systolic pressure (as the heart beats) over the diastolic pressure (time between two beats). A blood pressure which reading of 120/80 mm Hg is considered as normal while a consistent blood pressure which reading of 140/90 mm Hg or higher than that is considered as high blood pressure. High blood pressure is often called as hypertension (silent killer). There is no wonder that high blood pressure takes place among any age due to fast-paced lifestyle, immense mental and physical pressure from work, home and school. The person who is diagnosed with high blood pressure should take some consistent efforts to cure this disease otherwise it may lead to several life threatening diseases like heart attack, stroke, kidney failure, injury to eyes brain etc. Obesity, lifestyle changes, genetic factors, excessive consumption of alcohol, caffeine beverages, high intake of salt, stress, hereditary predisposition, birth control pills, pain relievers, lack of cardiovascular or aerobic exercises are some of the possible causes or leading factors of high blood pressure.
TIPS TO LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE NATURALLY:
1) Food which is good for hypertension:-
Poor dietary habits are one of the most tributary factors of various health ailments. Following healthy diet will certainly help for the people who are at risk of developing hypertension.
- Consume potassium-rich fruits and vegetable as it helps to lessen the effects of sodium on blood pressure. The high content of potassium include vegetables and fruits such as sweet potato, tomato, orange juice, banana, kidney beans, peas, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, and dry fruits such as prunes and raisins.
- Avoid excessive intake of salt. Because even small reduction in sodium in daily diet helps to reduce blood pressure by 2 to 8 mm Hg. Potato chips, frozen dinners, bacon and processed lunch meats high in sodium should be strictly avoided. Apart from that, you should keep a track of how much salt is added in diet then only you will come to know that how much sodium you consume each day. 2300 mg of sodium or less than that is enough for a day.
- Add some dark chocolate in your diet to give relief from blood pressure at some extent. As it contains rich source of flavanols which helps to make blood vessels more elastic.
- Garlic plays a crucial role in lowering blood pressure. It helps to thin the blood in a similar way as the pharmaceutical drug aspirin. In addition, onion also helps considerably to lower blood pressure and also lowers the cholesterol in body.
- Indian gooseberry, amla is one of the wonderful home remedy to lower blood pressure. The mixture of 1 tablespoon of fresh amla juice along with equal amount of honey in an early morning before breakfast is efficient to cure blood pressure.
- Another effective method is mix 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, ginger juice and honeys each equally. And drink this mixture on an empty stomach. This mixture is beneficial to lower blood pressure
- The extract of stevia is kind of herb that helps to lower blood pressure. It is use to increase glucose tolerance in body.
- Cinnamon and cardamom are said to have blood pressure reducing qualities. The herb cinnamon is rich in antioxidant. Both herbs are used widely in Indian cuisine as spice.
- Having a diet including lean meat, low-fat dairy products, fish, whole grains and unsalted nuts are quite beneficial in lowering blood pressure effectively.
- Research indicate that flaxseed, hawthorn, nutmeg, valerian are all kind of herbs which including in diet helps to lower blood pressure at some extent. In addition, include the foods which are rich in calcium, magnesium and potassium in daily diet.
2) Regular exercise is vital:-
Obesity is one of the major risk factor of high blood pressure. Because highly obese people need to work harder in order to pump blood. This may contribute to hypertension. Today, the chances of weight gain are increasing among people as they don’t follow healthy diet and exercise regimen. Daily 30 minutes of exercise is essential to cure hypertension effectively. In addition, walking, running, swimming, cycling, jogging and gardening is also one kind of exercise. Spending some time for your pleasurable activity from busy schedule helps to reduce stress and energizes one’s mood. Try to avoid squeezing all exercise on weekends only. It will harmful for health. Yoga is considering one of the effective measures to cure blood pressure naturally. It assists in providing more oxygen in blood and also gives soothing and healing effects. Besides that, the asanas teach to breathe deeply and helps to calm you down. In short, regular exercise along with healthy diet is important to stay fit.
3) Say no to stress:-
Managing the stress in your life may help considerably to lower hypertension. It is primary cause of hypertension. In a stressful situation hormones like adrenaline and cortisol are developed into blood. This induces the blood vessels to constrict, therefore the chances of blood pressure gets increase. Studies indicate that, chronic stress is one of the major reasons behind hypertension. Hence, proper precaution should be taken to tackle the stress. Stress can be controlled by relaxation techniques like yoga, listening soothing music, medication and practicing deep breathing exercises as well.
4) Drink plenty of water:-
Water is one of the great natural remedy to detoxify overall system. Therefore it is essential to have at least 8 glasses of water daily. It helps to keep body hydrated as well as get rid of excess salt and harmful toxins. Try to avoid cold drinks and coffee as they are contaminated with chemicals which are harmful for overall health. Lemon water can also be a great option to eradicate toxins from system as it contains citric acid in large quantity. In addition, water maintains the electrolyte balance and has dehydrating effects on the body.
5) Make Limit or avoid consumption of alcohol:-
Excessive alcohol consumption is harmful for health. Research has proven that generally consuming more than two drinks a day increases the chances of hypertension for both men and women. Therefore it is often recommend drinking alcohol along with a meal which may blunt its effects on blood pressure. Excessive alcohol consumption does not respond properly to high blood pressure medications also.
6) Quit smoking:-
The nicotine substance present in cigarette is one of the reasons behind temporary spikes in blood pressure. Studies indicate that smoking along with excessive alcohol consumption is linked with developing high blood pressure. Consumption of both constricts the blood vessels as well as reduces the blood flow to heart. This may contribute to cardiovascular disease. Hence it is better to avoid the consumption of both as it is highly injurious to health.
7) Other remedies:-
- Put the habit of walking on green grass barefoot.
- Lose weight and skip caffeine products.
- Avoid fast food, food containing trans fats, hydrogenated oil.
- Consume watermelon and papaya on an empty stomach.